Thursday, January 13, 2011

Got Jesus?

Suilaid!

This is just a quick reflection that popped into my mind today as I was looking through sets on Polyvore. One of the ladies who I follow had made a set that featured a quote- "Got Jesus?" While I find it is an interesting cultural phenomenon to study, the 'got ___' advertising gimmick first inspired by the 'got milk' campaign, I don't think that that phrase fully conveys the unique relationship between Savior and saved.

We don't "got Jesus," or to put it in the grammatically correct way, we don't "have Jesus." Jesus is not a possession to be had. A possession can be put on a shelf, it can be forgotten now and then, shoved into a corner so we don't have to pay any attention to it. But we shouldn't do that to Jesus.

I think a more apt way to put this would be- "Does Jesus have you?" You do not possess Jesus; Jesus possesses you. He bought you with the dearest price imaginable, that of His precious, pure blood. You choose to acknowledge His ownership of your heart, soul, and mind, and to listen to His direction in your life.

So no, I do not "got Jesus." Jesus has me. I am His possession, I am not my own.

爱於耶穌,
~Liberty

No comments: