Monday, October 1, 2012

autumn is my favorite

I love it when the weather just begins to turn. The air gets that subtle tang, a smell of mingled rain and burning wood as people stoke their fires, and just a hint of promised snow. Sweaters come out ahead of the cold weather, hoodies and button-ups and cardigans and those stylish little things that nobody wears except to church.

And boots. Every autumn, without fail, I get the sudden desire to buy boots. I never do (I'm usually too poor), but inevitably I'll be wandering about some clothing store and pause by the boots, and just stare. And I get this sudden urge to just go be all hipster and wear a little hat and a ridiculous jumper and nonsense scarf and skinny jeans and lace-up boots and go stomp through fallen leaves with my ridiculous (and ahemnonexistentahem) boyfriend as we take the most ludicrously cute pictures ever.

I find it hard to be productive in the autumn, too. At least, not productive in the let's-hurry-and-get-work-done kind of productive. I prefer to read; to curl up on a couch with fuzzy socks, a hoodie, and a hat, and read. I like to take a notebook and just sit in front of a window and write, write everything I haven't been able to say during the summer.

I'm always at my best in the fall, I think. At least writing-wise. I end up writing more, creating characters that get way down deep into my heart and never let go. Why that is, I have no idea. But it's true. And it's just one more layer to the reasons I love autumn.

The whole point of this post has been, of course, that I just really
really
really
love autumn.

That is all.

- Kyla Denae

No comments: