Sunday, October 30, 2011

Right on Time

So. Sometimes, I find God's timing nothing short of...well, pretty hilarious, actually.

I mean that in a very, very good way.

Being the control freak and worrier that I am (anybody remember the absolutely frantic posts I wrote back in April? I do.) I've already begun to spazz about the roughly $5,000 I'm going to need for my planned summer activities.

My word, why do I do this to myself?

Basically, I'm going to be focusing on Romania fundraising. That's about $2,000. I'm hoping to be able to go to Zambia on $3,000. But, back in September, it seemed like a smart idea to tell God that I wasn't going to start fundraising for that trip--I wanted to focus on Romania, and if he wanted me to go to Zambia, I'd trust him to provide.

See, this is why I do things like this to myself. I think that I'm actually going to be able to exercise a little bit of trust. But I don't. Silly, silly me.

This is probably more of just a commentary on my character more than anything else. Of course I began stressing about it. I started thinking about all the reasons God might not want me to go to Zambia, then I started thinking about not going to Zambia, and then I thought that maybe not going to Zambia might be better. Then I thought about little African children and their singing and their playing, and that ended that.

Because you see, I love Africa. But I still don't know why I do this to myself.

And so the cycle begins again. Trusting, believing God will provide because, after all, I want to go to Zambia. But what if I want to go to Zambia, but God doesn't want me to go to Zambia? What will I tell the missionaries? What will I tell the people I've told about my potential trip? Will they feel let-down? Am I letting this trip become more about the people around me and my own desires than about God? Will that make God not want to let me go to Zambia? Will I not get to go to Zambia?

But I want to go to Zambia!

So here I sit, full of countless worries, and then the money issue plunks right back into my lap. Almost $4,000 before the first of the year? Please. You've told maybe half a dozen people you're planning to go to Zambia. And your blog readers. All four of them. Woopiee for you. You're not going to be able to go to Zambia. That's simply too much money, and God's obviously not going to just plunk it in your lap. Maybe you should start fundraising. Maybe you should just forget this whole thing you're doing. After all, this faith is passive. It doesn't do anything. It doesn't express itself in works. Sure, you're starting work for Romania, but that hardly counts.

And I think, for just a second, that maybe I should just give it up, forget the whole venture. Just be content with going to Romania.

And then my pastor preaches on the awe-inspiring faithfulness of God.

*"God is faithful..."

All the time, no matter our circumstances, no matter what we think he's doing, God is always, always faithful. He will never forget us, he will never forget our needs.

"That in every thing ye are enriched by him, in all utterance, and in all knowledge...So that ye come behind in no gift..."

As my pastor put it: 'we can have confidence in Him to accompany us as we serve and venture out for him and stretch in our serving Him.'

Ouch.

Okay, God.

Not quite what I expected.

But okay.

I think I'm ready to try out that whole trust thing again.

No, I've not gotten some big check. No, I still have absolutely no idea how God is going to provide for a $2,000 plane flight to Zambia, Africa before the first of the year. Not a single clue. I don't know by what means he's going to send that money. I haven't the foggiest. But one thing I do know.

He is always, always faithful. He always has been, He always will be.

And everything will work out for His glory. So here I am, trying yet again to set out on this journey of faith and make something of it other than a huge mess.

*Scriptures from 1 Corinthians 1:5, 7, 9

爱於耶穌,
~Liberty (紫涵)

3 comments:

Carilyn said...

Okay, yep. You need to stop worrying. Easier said than done, of course, (and boy do I know it!) and you probably know that already too, but... worry must be one of the 1,379 (or how many ever it is) problems mankind faces in themselves. I can't really give any money, but I can give prayer.

A word of advice (as if you need any from me). Seek God without ceasing for these next days (before NaNo each day, and after) all the time, in every spare moment if possible. Our focus must be on Him, and it's easier when you make it top priority. It's something that must be constantly done, or our attention does a 180 to ourselves. (Good grief; one of those millions of problems we have.)

So, I just had a small question alluding back to previous posts about your desire to be a missionary long-term someday. Why China and not Africa?

Happy NaNo Days!! =) Comin' right up...

(Hope you don't mind all my 'advice' or whatever it's called. Hopefully it's encouragement in some way.)

Christie said...

You have 65 followers - and better than that, you have a great God! I know it's nerve wracking to wait and worry but our God is great and can do all things. He did last year for you! :)

Jazzie Shea said...

Oh! WOW!
This is so relevant in my life right now!
I am currently praying about journeying to Uganda, Africa to volunteer in an orphanage! 3,900 dollars!
But I have 1 year to save up!
I believe if God opens a door He will provide.
Faith in God includes His timing. Jesus is great and we should believe that no matter what He is there and has a plan greater then all get out! Praying for you AND me!
God bless you, sweet girl!
Jazzie
www.jsheaa.blogspot.com