Monday, May 14, 2012

confidence

It's come upon me off and on over the years--this small voice, deep inside, that insists upon telling me that I'm not good enough, or not pretty enough, or that if I'd just act this certain way, or dress this certain way, or talk this certain way, I'd be popular. I've worried that my personality is the wrong sort, that my fashion sense is horrible, that my body isn't attractive...overall, I've had just about the same thoughts that most humans have at some time or another, directed towards myself. I'm sure we've all been there at one time or another; it seems to be a uniquely human trait, this problem of looking at ourselves and seeing nothing but problems. Perhaps it's just a side-product of being self-aware and sentient.

But amidst all this worrying about what other people will think of me, I've come to realize something. I can't make everyone happy. Someone in the world, somewhere, will find me annoying, or be upset about something I do and, in the grand scheme of things, only one person's opinion matters--one person in the whole universe, and that's God. And he, as always, has made it very clear what he thinks:
I will praise thee; for I am fearfully and wonderfully made: marvellous are thy works; and that my soul knoweth right well. - Psalm 139:14 
We are 'fearfully and wonderfully' made--there is awe surrounding our forming, tiny miracles from the beauty of our growth in the womb until now, as our bodies constantly remake themselves literally every day. We are wonderful creations, in so many ways.
Which of you by taking thought can add one cubit to his stature? And why take ye thought for raiment? Consider the lilies of the field, how they grow; they toil not, neither do they spin: And yet I say unto you, That even Solomon in all his glory was not arrayed like one of these. - Matthew 6:27-29
We cannot change our appearance through conscious thought, yet God has provided; he will continue to do so. We have been fashioned with as much care as the flowers that we adore so much. Take a peek out your window, or take a walk in a park. Take a moment to just pause and marvel at the variety of different colors and types of beauty God has created. You are one of those types, whether you believe it or not.
Favour is deceitful and beauty is vain: but a woman that feareth the Lord, she shall be praised. - Proverbs 31:30
 The definitions of the world change. God's never will.
He hath made everything beautiful in his time... - Ecclesiastes 3:11a
How beautiful upon the mountains are the feet of him that bringeth good tidings, that publisheth peace... - Isaiah 52:7a
Behold, thou art fair, my love; behold, thou art fair... - Song of Solomon 1:15
 - Kyla Denae

No comments: